Sir Ron Brierley has pleaded guilty to possession of child sexual abuse material at a court hearing in Sydney. Video / Liam Mendes

WARNING: DISRUPTIVE CONTENT

Ron Brierley told police when questioning about a cache of pictures of naked children he had saved to multiple devices that the pictures were “all perfectly fine” and that he downloaded them because he thought they were. ‘they “looked interesting”.

It can also be revealed that the items he was found with included two written documents relating to unlawful and unwanted sex acts on minors. The 83-year-old former businessman pleaded guilty in Sydney last month to three counts of possession of child sexual abuse material. As a result of the call, he has since lost his knight title.

In December 2019, Brierley was at Sydney International Airport and was due to travel to Fiji when he was stopped by Australian Border Forces personnel in the departure examination area.

Brierley is expected to be sentenced in August.

But on Friday afternoon, the official summary of the facts of the case was released by officials at the Sydney court.

The document reveals the contents of an interview between a police officer and Brierley after police located USB devices in their possession which contained “a number of images and videos”.

“The offender was asked if he wanted to say something and he said, ‘I think they are all, they are perfectly fine,” the document reads.

“He said they were available for free on the Internet and ‘they have been approved by various organizations.’ He said he uploaded the images to the Internet.”

He was questioned about the documents in his possession and said that they came from an internet address and that they relate to girls “on their various services”. He said these services allowed him to subscribe and download the images.

“He was asked how old they were and he said ‘maybe 8 to 12” and replied “some of them are much older.” He said the girls in the pictures and videos varied. aged 10 to 17. He later said the youngest was “probably about 8” and the oldest “19 or 20”.

“He said he last looked at the footage the night before and looked at it for ‘recreation’. When asked ‘was it for sexual purposes? “he said” no. “He said he downloaded the pictures because they” looked interesting. “

Subscribe to Premium

On a USB drive, police found “a Word document with handwriting detailing a sexual fantasy of sexual abuse of an 11 year old girl named Amanda and another document titled” The Stepfather “detailing the sexual assault of a 9-year-old girl “.

The document said Brierley had fully cooperated with the investigation.

When asked about the written stories stored as Word documents, the Facts Summary said he said they had come by mail order from America and “he hadn’t received any for“ a long time. ”He said he received these documents by email. He admitted to having read the stories. “

Some of the images had been uploaded the day before they were discovered by authorities, with Brierley claiming he viewed them for “recreation” purposes.

“When asked ‘was this for a sexual purpose?’ he said “no”, he said he downloaded the pictures because they “looked interesting”.

A total of 46,795 images found on the devices.

One was considered “ category one ”: with the summary of the facts describing this category as “ an image depicting a real prepubescent child and the child is involved in a sexual act, witnessing a sexual act or the material is focused / concentrated on the child’s anal or genital area.

The rest is considered “category two”; with the summary of facts indicating that this category could include those who exhibit genitals or are in the presence of another person engaged or apparently engaged in a pose or sexual activity.

Many photos featured young girls, some barely four years old, in sexualized poses.
One file – named “Dream Models” – “contained images of a number of female children (of different ethnicities) who appeared between the ages of 5 and 8 wearing either underwear, a crop top or a shirt. swimsuit”.

The summary of the facts added: “Many images showed children sitting, standing or posing in a sexualized manner.”

“In one video (the only localized video that amounted to child abuse material, and which lasted nearly 2 hours, there were six young girls wearing swimsuits, the video focusing on their breasts and breasts. genitals.”

A further search of his Sydney home found thousands of other images.

Earlier, a hearing at Downing Center court in Sydney learned that Brierley’s conviction would take place on August 20.

The three counts Brierley pleaded to were lower than the original 17 counts laid by the prosecution. Throughout the case, the court heard the frustration of its lawyers at the slow work of the police to bring to the court the analysis of the images seized.

Brierley’s guilty plea followed his arrest in December 2019 after being arrested at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.

He was preparing to board a flight to Fiji when he was arrested by Australian border force officials, acting on a whistleblower. They seized devices at Brierley, which were searched, and were followed by another search at the nearby Mascot Police Station and his waterfront mansion.

A charge to which Brierley admitted identified the offending material as including images of children between the ages of 2 and 15.

Following his guilty plea, an investigation was opened to find out whether he should be stripped of his knighthood. Before a decision could be made, Brierley voluntarily abandoned it.

Wellington College, which benefited from Brierley’s philanthropy, removed signage bearing his name from its facilities. Cricket Wellington, of which Brierley had been the boss, said he was reviewing his life membership status.

Ron Brierley in his days as a corporate raider.  Photo / File
Ron Brierley in his days as a corporate raider. Photo / File

Brierley’s bail continued after his guilty plea, allowing him relative freedom to roam near Double Bay and be driven into the exclusive eastern suburbs of Sydney. The Herald recently identified that Brierley still appeared to have internet access with an email from him sent in February 2020.

The email, sent to Wellington College, read: “Ironically, of course, I’m exactly the same person I’ve always been.”

Brierley has been a dominant figure in Australasian affairs. Its rise began in New Zealand in the 1960s by identifying asset-rich companies that offered low returns for shareholders, organizing raids, and turning stagnant wealth into returns for shareholders.

By the 1980s, Brierley had expanded its business to Australia, then globally in the 1990s and beyond. In 1988, while president of the Bank of New Zealand, his contribution to business and philanthropy led to chivalry.

He retired as a director of BIL in 2001 and then as chairman of the Guinness Peat group in 2010, stepping down from his post as director in 2015. In June 2019, he retired as a president of Mercantile Investments, a Sydney-based boutique with $ 80 million invested. .

Sexual Damage: Where to Get Help:

If this is an emergency and you feel you or someone else is at risk, call 111.
If you’ve been a victim of sexual assault or abuse and need someone to talk to, call the Confidential Crisis Hotline on 0800 044 334 or text 4334.
You can also contact your local police station
If you have been abused, remember that it is not your fault.

More about this article: Read More
Source: www.nzherald.co.nz
This notice was published: 2021-05-28 07:27:09

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here