NSW and Queensland are on alert following a woman infected with Covid-19 from Victoria traveling to the United States. Video / Sky News Australia
The government has extended the transtasman bubble break with Victoria by seven days.
“Although the overall risk for New Zealand is low, today’s advice from New Zealand public health officials is that the travel break should continue,” the Covid response minister said -19, Chris Hipkins.
“The government is taking a precautionary approach by continuing the break, which will be reviewed next Wednesday.”
There are now 93 cases associated with the outbreak in greater Melbourne, spread across four clusters. Contact tracing identified over 15,000 close contacts.
The cases of the great Melbourne epidemic are genomically linked to cases arriving from abroad, but at least three cases do not know how they got the virus.
New Zealand citizens, permanent residents, people on humanitarian exemptions and essential workers will still be able to take Green Zone flights to New Zealand from Melbourne – but will need a negative test before departure within three days after departure.
They will not need to be isolated or tested once they arrive in New Zealand.
Hipkins said non-quarantine trips to Queensland and New South Wales will continue as the risk of two new positive cases in Queensland has been deemed low.
Anyone who was in the towns of Dubbo, Forbes, Gillenbah or Moree in NSW between June 1 and 5, or in Queensland in Toowoomba, Caloundra, Buddina and Baringa between June 5 and 8 should consult the Queensland and New South Wales state health websites. to determine if they were in places of interest.
Anyone at the scene at the specified times should call Healthline on 0800 358 5453, get tested and self-isolate until they return a negative result.
They also cannot travel to New Zealand within 14 days of the show.
Queensland on high alert
Queensland today confirmed two cases of Covid-19 after it was revealed that a Melbourne couple left the lockdown and traveled on a trip to two states.
A 44-year-old woman who traveled from Melbourne was confirmed yesterday and her husband also tested positive.
The woman and her husband left Victoria on June 1, four days after a statewide lockdown went into effect.
The pair crossed regional NSW and entered Queensland, stopping at several locations along the way.
The woman tested positive for Covid-19 in Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast on June 8 after joining relatives there, although it is understood that she had been showing symptoms since at least June 3.
The Queensland case toll came shortly after Victorian authorities revealed four new Covid-19 infections.
The cases were from the same household but the source of the infections is still not known.
As a result, Victorian authorities made a minor change to the relaxation of restrictions in Melbourne tonight, with masks still required outside.
Queensland Director of Health Dr Jeannette Young said it appeared the two cases in the state were nearing the end of their infectious period.
However, she said it was still extremely important for residents to come forward and get tested.
Itinerant couple interviewed
Victoria’s acting prime minister James Merlino said health officials were interviewing the couple and flagged the possibility that they may have moved, which would mean they haven’t broken the rules of locking.
However, they may still have broken Queensland border rules if they did not have a valid exemption permit.
“Victoria was unable to speak to the couple yesterday for a case interview, but we will do so today, and I think it’s important to note that if they move out, it’s not a violation of the instructions here in Victoria, but we’re not doing ‘I don’t know,’ Merlino said.
It appears to be pure luck that the infected Melbourne woman was caught. The Courier Mail reports that she was only tested because her husband needed a negative test result for professional purposes.
It is managed by staff at Sunshine Coast University Hospital and her husband is also hospitalized under surveillance.
Meanwhile, Melbourne residents are expected to emerge from a difficult two-week lockdown tonight, with Merlino yesterday announcing “important steps” to ease restrictions.
From 11:59 p.m. Melbourne will be able to switch to “most of the same settings” in place in the rest of the state. The Victoria region is also preparing to ease restrictions further.
Melburnians will be limited to a travel limit of 25 km, with the only reasons for traveling further being for work, education, care or vaccination.
The ban on visiting households will remain, but outdoor gatherings will be increased to 10 people.
Masks will still be required in both outdoor and indoor environments, after Merlino announced the slight adjustment to the rules on Thursday.
Travel to the Victoria area is still prohibited.
– with news.com.au
More about this article: Read More
This notice was published: 2021-06-10 05:21:04